Slideshow Widget

Choosing to Remember | In Honor of My Grammy

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

After a long battle with health issues, my Grammy passed away on Sunday night. Even though she lived a long and good life and fought hard for the last few years, it doesn't make death any easier. It still stings. But, I can choose to dwell on the pain that death brings to those who are left behind, or I can remember all of the good stuff from our time together. Today, I choose the latter.


Easter 2011
Grammy, you may be gone in body, but you will live on in my heart and memories. Silly or not, I'll always remember:

  • Your love of ice cream and orange soda. And the fact that you always had both on hand. (Thanks for passing that love (of ice cream!) on to me.)
  • Your fridge magnets. We always messed with them when we came to see you and you always let us.
  • Your basement. We spent hours down there drawing up imaginary creatures and places with all of your scrap computer paper. You know, the kind with the lines on one side and the two perforated edges that we could tear off? You had tons of it and we used it up.
  • Your spaghetti sauce. Your house was always filled with this aroma. Greg makes it most like you now, and when we visit him and he cooks it for dinner, it brings me right back to homemade dinners with you.
  • Your vitamin box. You faithfully carried that light brown vitamin box with you every where.
  • Your overnight stays when there was a chance of snow. You chose to stay with us when the forecast was calling for snow while we lived in Enfield since it was closer to your workplace. You were the only person I ever had to give up my room for and I was so excited. Snow. Grammy. "Getting" to sleep on the couch. My little girl heart was full.
  • Your lipstick, porcelain skin and painted nails. You were quite the lady.
  • Your passion for reading. (I think you passed this one on to me too!)

Of course there were all the birthday parties and holidays and special events that we spent together, and lots of other memories that I cannot think of right now. So many good things to store up. But that list above is a treasure to me. Thanks for making my memories so sweet. I love you, Grammy. Rest in peace.

2 Responses to “Choosing to Remember | In Honor of My Grammy”

  1. Thank you Stacy. This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Stacy. It was an honor to get to know your Grammy for the short time that I did. I was always excited when I knew she was going to be in NC. She will truly be missed by me and the Smither Family. All our love to you.
    Meg

    ReplyDelete